What to Wear to your Family Fall Photo Session
Let’s admit it. Choosing what to wear for photos can be super stressful! It’s enough to make anyone crazy, even photographers. But finding that perfect outfit (or family of outfits!) is easier with a little bit of guidance.
- Choose your palette first: Pick a palette of 3-4 colors. Let this be your starting place. Think in terms of tones: blue tones, earth tones, neutrals, pastels, etc. Everyone in the family can express their own sense of style within the chosen color palette, and the whole group will coordinate beautifully. Coordinating colors are key, you do not have to match.
- Fit your style to your location: Always keep your session location in mind when choosing your outfit. If your session is happening in a city setting, dress up a bit with a pair of cute heels and a fancier dress than you’d normally wear to match the bustling vibe of the city. If you’ve selected a more natural environment, choose something a bit more casual such as a maxi dress, denim and opt for casual footwear like flat sandals or boots.
- Don’t wear all white: In the fall white can wash out your skin and compete with the beautiful natural colors the foliage will have to offer. If you wear a white shirt, please add some color with a scarf, vest or open front cardigan to compliment the fall colors outdoors. Creams are okay when coordinated with colors in the same tonal range.
- Think classic: These photos will be hanging on your walls and treasured for years to come. By choosing simple, classic clothes you will help give your images a timeless feel.
- Shoes: Don't forget the shoes! They will show in some of your photos and if you are wearing old, dirty shoes, they won’t look good. Make sure they match with what you are wearing. If you choose to wear open toes shoes, think about painting your toenails (just make sure the color compliments your outfit!)
What NOT to Wear
There are a few things to avoid as much as you possibly can:
- words or big logos across your clothing
- wearing solid black or white
- having everybody in identical outfits
- white t- shirts and jeans
- neon colors
- dirty or wrinkled clothing
Hope this helps get you thinking about what to wear for you family photo?session! Please contact me if you have any questions!